App Monetization

10 Ways to Improve Opt-In Ratio for Rewarded Video

10-Ways-to-Improve-Optin

We already covered the emergence of rewarded video ads in mobile games and the importance of focusing on opt-in ratio to increase the number of first impressions you get.

Opt-In Ratio – the number of unique users who watch rewarded videos in a given day, divided by the number of total unique users in the same day.

List of ideas for improving opt-in ratio for rewarded video

Here you can find a few game design suggestions to improve the number of people opting in to videos. However, we don’t recommend implementing all of them. The way to use this list is to set up a system like SOOMLA TRACEBACK that allows you to measure opt-in on a segment and cohort level and then try different methods for different segments while monitoring the improvement through the system.

1 – Guide users to watch a video as part of the tutorial

The rational here is simple. D0 is the only day where you have 100% retention. Guiding users to watch a video in the tutorial allows you to get a lot of 1st impressions and also teaches users that rewarded videos are an integral part of the experience.

2 – Daily offer that require users to watch a video

Once users come back, a nice way to promote the videos to them is to offer some special benefit, bonus screens or game advancement in the form of a daily promotion.

3 – Surprise box in exchange for a video

Many users like to get a surprise box in the game. Making the surprise box the reward of watching a ad is a great way to incentivize more users to engage with the ads.

4 – Lives for video views

Many games has energy mechanic built into them. It could be lives, energy, fuel or any other resource that is consumed with every attempt of the user. Users who want longer sessions usually have to pay but in many cases rewarded video can be offered as an alternative to payment for the non-payers segment.

5 – Save Me / Revive

Games often offer an option to keep playing from the last point by watching a video ad

In many action or arcade games ther user is able to play until some tragic event kills his character. This is the perfect opportunity to offer him an opportunity to keep playing from the same point in exchange for watching a video ad.

6 – Virtual currency for video completion

Another popular place to introduce the value exchange is inside the store of the game. The user can buy coing with money or he can get some for free if he watches some video ads.

7 – Double virtual currency collection for a limited time

Future play offers a 2x profit doubler for a period of 4 hours in exchange for a video viewMany games have coin collection mechanics into their games. In game design these are known as ‘pools’. The option to double the effectiveness of a pool is very appealing to a player and creates an incentive to watch an ad. Futureplay is one company that did a nice job with this option in their game Farm Away.

8 – Remove other ads in return for video view

Another option for introducing rewarded video is to offer the user an interruption free session in return for watching a single ad. You can see examples of this option here.

9 – Accelerate delivery/building time in return for video

Some games have built in waiting periods. This is specifically true for games in the strategy, simulation and racing genres. In these games the user have to wait for some action to be completed and is offered to pay to accelerate. Another option would be to give him an option to accelerate the action by watching a video ad.

10 – Users that don’t opt-in for videos – show them other ads

The final tip wouldn’t directly improve the opt-in rate to rewarded video but it is important just the same. About 2% if your game users pay for In-App Purchases, A typical opt-in ration might be 25%-40% and games that have optimized their opt-in ratio might get to 80%. This still leaves at least 20% of your users that are not contributing any monetization. To these users, you can show interstitials, banners and native ads to round up the monetization.

If you want to improve your opt-in rate to rewarded videos try these ideas and monitor which one works using SOOMLA Traceback.

Learn More

Feel free to share:

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

DOWNLOAD OUR RECENT REPORT

Join 7556 other smart people who get email updates for free!

We don't spam!

Unsubscribe any time

Categories

More in App Monetization
3 Case Studies Any Game Publisher Should Read

There is a lot to be learned from the success of others and this is why case studies can be...

Close